Endoscopy is a procedure that lets your doctor look inside your body using an instrument called an endoscope, or scope for short. Scopes have a fiber-optic camera attached to a long, thin flexible tube, which allows your doctor to see inside specific parts of your body.
At HCA Virginia, endoscopic procedures are a common, safe and effective way to screen for diseases such as colorectal cancer, to obtain tissue samples and to treat many conditions of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract, bile duct and pancreas. Endoscopic procedures are minimally invasive,using natural body openings or very small incisions,resulting in less pain and downtime. Our team of specialists has expertise in a wide variety of endoscopic procedures, including:
- Endoscopic Bronchial Ultrasound (EBUS)
- Lower Endoscopy (Lower GI), including colonscopy and/or sigmoidoscopy
- Upper Endoscopy (Upper GI)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreaticography)
In addition, we are the leading provider of Motility Studies for Central Virginia. We offer:
- Anal Manometry for incontinence or constipation or preoperative evaluation
- Esophageal Manometry, 24-hour pH Monitoring, Bravo pH Studies and Bernstein Acid Perfusion Studies for heart burn, GERD, dysphagia, chest pain and respiratory issues
- PillCam Studies for small bowel issues, including anemia, crohns, bleeding and abdominal pain
- Urodynamics for incontinence, constipation or preoperative evaluation
- Pelvic floor retraining with biofeedback for incontinence or constipation
We also offer comprehensive colon and rectal surgical services, with many minimally invasive procedures available to help you heal more quickly.